Once upon a time in our America, an election was lost, but the power and voice of the people were heard. It was the majority of the people. The system worked, just as the founding fathers had intended.
This angers a faction of the populace, the same populace that revived the image of the founding fathers and paraded them for the last 4 years like a corporate logo. In perhaps the worst re-branding of a corporation or party in history, the False Patriots of the land roared. Their so called grass roots movement founded and financed by the Koch brothers and dirty corporate money, an oxymoron to the logo they sought to buy.
The cries of ‘I want my country back’ ringing in the ears of an otherwise majority who at the time sought to embrace ‘hope and change.’ This abomination of a movement bought their way in to the political process, and bought Senate and House seats. Their reach ranging far and wide within two years, perhaps a movement who’s roots then became exposed. It turned out they were the roots of the Graying white rich male. Their dastardly plot had its true roots on the eve of the inauguration of the newly elected President.
Together with the corporations for which they stood, one nation became disposable under the guise of God.
They systematically began attacking the very foundation of the country and for which it stood. Public Service Employees, Unions, Teachers, every institution, every agreement, every social program was under attack, in an attempt to not only hold on to the status quo of the old rich white male, but force the nation into a revival of the gilded age. No one or anything was safe from their reach. Including, but certainly not limited to the newly elected first African American President.
This ‘Grass Roots’ movement, organized, financed and given legitimacy by its very own propaganda machine of Fox news, right wing talk radio pundits and right wing journalists, supported the campaign to deny and destroy. And they stopped at nothing. They were fueled by the hatred and greed of the old white male. Also given the rubber stamped guise of God as the evangelical faction of the country joined in the fun. They had after all been experts at serving Kool-aid to their followers for centuries.
Facts were no longer facts. Once they became discredited by the machine.
Icons of publishing and broadcasting, together with the institutions for which they worked were reframed as ‘The Lame stream media.’ The tag was affixed to any publication or media outlet that stood in the way of their propaganda.
This ugly machine and its mechanics even ate their own. Moderate or reasonable politicians were threatened with primaries filled with the False Patriots radical extremists unless they complied with the marching orders.
This “Tea Party” was instead serving a Kool-Aid mixture comprised of hatred, lies and propaganda to further their agenda. And an otherwise naive percentage of the population lined up for their turn at the trough to drink the Kool-Aid.
And drink from the trough they did, with great gusto! They aligned themselves with politicians who instead of taking the Pledge of Allegiance, opted for the new corporate pledge, The Grover Norquist pledge to under no circumstances vote to increase taxes upon the old graying white males to whom they were now indebted.
The Tea Party boys, fueled with vitriol and flush with money from the corporations and special interests for which the stood, captured Seats in the House of Representatives and the Senate’s, state and federal. They captured Governorships in many key states. And then, they went about the work of the party.
They immediately went after unions, collective bargaining rights, Education, Teachers, police, firefighters, no one doing the public’s business was safe.
In an effort to please the evangelical wing of the party, they went about introducing bill after bill to control women’s right to choice. They gerrymandered the house districts in an attempt to maintain the power base they had created. In their spare time they enacted other assorted laws prepared not by legislators, but the corporate wing for which they stood. Yes they had bought a team of lawyers to write their own legislation. Alec.
All possible thanks to a gift from the prior incompetent administration. These “Job Creators” flush with cash from record profits and eight years of the Bush tax cuts, had been handed the ultimate gift from the prior administrations appointees to the Supreme Court. As part of the rebranding, this legislation was called “Citizens United.” This finely named piece of legislation was designed to allow these so called job creators to funnel money unnamed to their very own “Super pacs.” It is now funny, not one picketer who was on the street waving the flag, wearing wigs and crying out “we want our country back,” Benefited from this “Citizens United.” Only the dark money of the corporations and elitists seemed to flow to the patriotic organizations in secrecy.
Meanwhile the propaganda machine churned away. Calls for eliminating federal spending, every federal protection from the environmental protection agency, to ultimately the right to even vote were targeted and sold like the corporations latest product on Fox news.
In addition these fine legislators and patriots, worked tirelessly when they were not busy dismantling rights, to obstruct the newly elected President at every turn. Exactly as the ‘Founding Fathers of the Tea Party had planned.
The country itself sacrificed to high unemployment, crushing debt caused by the deficits of the prior administrations insistence on two unfunded wars, and a give away to their friends at the Pharmaceutical industry. Also under the guise of a patriotic program to help the retired afford the outrageous prescription drugs that keep us all functioning and alive.
The only thing standing in the way of these fine False Patriots remained a Democratic majority in the Senate, and the newly elected President with veto power and a few executive powers to pass legislation.
Cue the propaganda machine and obstructionist House of Representatives! How dare that bastard tackle the health care crisis of the nation? How dare he discuss returning our tax rates to pre George W Bush rates!
They went about calling this fine man everything in the world, except the one word they didn’t have the guts to call him, which was “Nigger.” No our False Patriots didn’t want their own base to know they were racists! I for one would have at least respected them for telling the truth. After all the work that went in to recruiting all seven blacks to their party of inclusion. Not to mention Herman Cain might quit campaigning and making stupid statements.
Instead he endured 4 years of innuendos, “lazy, not like us, not a real American, calls for his birth certificate, Muslim’ and on and on.
They tried to degrade the man, and instead degraded themselves and the validity of their party in the process.
And then came the Presidential campaign. It was awash in dirty ads and few specifics. The Republicans candidate was picked from a pathetic field only after pandering to every special interest and extremist in the party. All first and foremost sworn to uphold the strict standard set forth by the great Patriot Grover Norquist. Who proclaimed for the world what the qualifications of any potential pick need be. “We don’t need a great thinker he proclaimed. We need a candidate who is breathing and able to use a pen., we can propose the legislation he need only sign it.”
And so came Mitt Romney. As the world soon witnessed, he had all the attributes Grover required, and not much else. And as a bonus, he could lie. Frankly he could lie like no one before him. During the campaign, he amassed a record 917 confirmed and fact checked lies in 41 weeks, Incredible.
And that brings us to the very core of why not only the Republicans lost the election by a sound margin, but also why in it’s aftermath they have behaved like children.
Two days removed from what should have been a wake up call for the Republican Party and their followers, they are still in denial. Busy not only attacking one another over the failure of the election, but now so firmly entrenched in the lies they told themselves and tried in a failed attempt to sell the country, they may actually believe them.
Folks, this is a wake up call for you! You are Americans for god sake; begin to act like it again please. The time to be divisive and fight, yes even root against your own self interests and the well being of the country has ended. YOU LOST!
So as a fellow American, who cares about all Americans and the well being of the country? Perhaps you need a primer to re indoctrinate you to reality?
I have put together a short list of suggestions to aid in your return to a reality based society.
1. Admit the core issue: You are not a Patriot. Take the dumb assed hats and Tea Bags off your heads, you just look foolish.
2. Stop trying to twist bits and pieces of the constitution to suit the party rhetoric. You are no Thomas Paine.
3. Admit: When you read: “we the people, for the people, and by the people.” You signed on to join a socialist society for the good of all citizens. A Liberal is no more socialist than you are.
4. Stop: denying the deficit you have decried for 4 plus years was the direct result of your parties two unfunded wars, and a give away to the pharmaceutical industry by George W Bush. Just stop it and admit it.
5. Admit: No Republican president has balanced a budget since Eisenhower.
6. Realize: No one any of us know, has ever met a free spending Liberal, willing to print money and give away at will to create deficits. Fun fact: liberals have delivered more surpluses and reduced deficits, than any Republican in history.
7. Deal with it: Milton Friedman the economist who brought us Reagan’s “Trickle Down” economics has been proven wrong. We have 30 plus years of data to prove it.
8. Admit: the speeches you have been giving about Patriotism and the flawed theories and bad facts and figures you have used to support these idiotic positions have been captured as talking points from a Fox News program or from the Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck talk radio programs. You never did any research that went beyond their websites or the link to the Heritage foundation.
9. Admit corporate welfare is a far bigger problem than social welfare ever has been or will be. And for god sake, admit your taxes are not supporting people on welfare. Odds are, you received a tax refund last year.
10. Admit: Social Security had not contributed one red cent to any deficit in this country. It is fully funded and paid for by the recipients and collected as a payroll tax. Just like unemployment. Both of which are collected and deducted on the payroll stub as ‘insurance.”
11. Admit: The only voter fraud factually found has odds less than you being abducted by an Alien spacecraft. The voter fraud suspected and proven has been perpetuated by the Republican Party or their subordinates. Including but not limited to the voter suppression efforts exhibited by the Party in this last election cycle.
12. Admit: the Republican party, the false barer of flag waving Tea Party Patriots, failed in their basic premise of Freedom, by trying to impose their beliefs and views in the woman’s right to choose.
13. Admit: we are not a ‘Christian Nation.” The founding fathers went out of their way to exclude religion from government. And a majority of the population wants it that way.
14. Admit: the United Nations and the President are not trying to take your damn squirrel rifle. (Although from some of the stupid threats on social media, perhaps they should.)
15. Admit: the election is over, you lost. Stop being a whiney bad loser, come back and join fellow Americans in rooting for the well being of the country.
Now please get down off that high horse, put ye ole musket down before you hurt yourself or a fellow citizen. Please understand, the Republicans lost for the following reasons.
First and foremost, the lesson of George Washington and his childhood words should ring throughout the land. “I cannot lie; it was I who chopped down the cherry tree.” Mitt Romney and the GOP tried to lie to the American public, it failed.
Secondly: Women throughout the land spoke loud and clear. They do not want your small government regulating their vaginas.
Thirdly: Arithmetic. Mitt Romney’s plan for America didn’t add up, either mathematically or emotionally with the majority of the electorate. You lose, end of story.
I hope this has been helpful, informative and perhaps slightly humorous to you and aids in the recovery from Right wing nutcase to American citizen again. Please come back, join us and let’s get to work to solve the serious problems before us. We can and will return this to the greatest country on earth, one with freedom, and justice for all. Not just the chosen few of any economic status, racial demographic or religious affiliation.